Tangerine has been praised as “A richly imagined read about an underdog coming into his own.” What is it that makes one an underdog? Underdogs are individuals with less-than-favorable odds stacked against them. They are not expected to come out on top of tough situations. Some common examples of underdogs include sports teams with poor records, lesser-known employees trying to advance in the workplace, or even the most average person trying to overcome socioeconomic pressures. In one to two paragraphs, describe a time when you were an underdog.
What odds were against you? What did you do to overcome the obstacles set before you? Reveal the outcome of the situation in a separate paragraph.
I was an underdog when I was playing soccer last summer and we won 1-2 games out of 9. I was an underdog because no one on the team believed in the team. Except for me. I still believed that we could win more games. So I began to practice every night and every morning before games. Soon enough my practice paid off. I was playing more and I was getting better and then the team started doing the same thing and we were catching up to the other team and almost won another game.
ReplyDeleteI was an underdog all the time in racing my dirtbike, no one believed I could get 1st or win the series. People thought that I was just the one who was slow and couldn't keep up with the other riders.
ReplyDeleteI proved to everyone that I can do it just like all of the others can I got 1st place in the 85 sr. class and 1st in the 85 open in the Yankton vs. Nebraska series. I did really good at the Lancaster Event center I was on T.V because I was doing so good and when I was there they interviewed me twice.
One time when I was an underdog I was in a situation where I had to choose if I wanted to go and do something with my friend or stay home. Some of the odds that were against me was having fun with my friend or having a nice day at home.
ReplyDeleteI overcame the obstacle by deciding not to go that day and going the next day. So when she asked if we could go and do something I told her not today maybe tomorrow.
I was an underdog when I was playing football because we were a lot smaller than them and we could not get in the back field or you couldn't block them. We were also an underdog when we were on offence because we could not make a proper pass to them. So I began to practice every night catching a football blocking then I kept practicing. We were overcoming the obstacle of us trying to get mentally prepared to accomplish this and also physically prepared so we can believe we could take them on.
ReplyDeleteI was an underdog when I broke my arm in 3rd grade. I was out for the season and I had to go back with a feeling telling me that I was going to break my arm again. I had to get over that feeling so I went to every practice. I practiced at home and got better. Then I stared to get over the feeling that I was going to break my arm. The one day I lost that feeling and was never scared of wrestling.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was younger, I could not read whatsoever. I was very slow, had trouble pronouncing large words, and couldn't spell. My mom would make me read all the time to her and I would get so frustrated listening to myself read. So that is when I decided to make a change, I worked hard to improve and I made reading one of my best subjects by the time I hit middle school. I payed attention more than ever in class, I practiced rewriting words, and I had my mom print off worksheets for myself and my brother over the summer.
DeleteNow not only my reading and spelling skill have improved but also my work ethic. I work hard in the classroom and I can read fluently.
One time that I was an underdog was when I first started to larp. I really didn't know what I was doing and tended to "die" a lot. It was difficult to overcome because it took a lot of hard work and time to become better. Another difficulty would be having to work up my arm strength so I could successfully swing a sword.
ReplyDeleteOnce I had gotten better I didn't die nearly as much and it was really fun to run around with my friends and pretend we were in medieval times, fighting for our kingdom. Nowadays I can still successfully swing a sword and if a zombie apocalypse were to happen I would have a pretty good chance!
A time that the odds were against me is when I was trying out for basketball. Seventh graders usually don't make the A team, but I really wanted to be. I worked hard in practice and gave it all of my effort. I was really excited when coach told me that I would be on A team.
ReplyDeleteI was an underdog when I quite wrestling and came back. I quite third grade and came back fourth grade. I was an underdog because since I quite, I forgot some technique so it was hard for me catch back up. It was also hard because I would face some really tough opponents. But when I got back into things, I felt way better.
ReplyDeleteTangerine is not all richy and there might be some people that are not rice in Tangerine.I was an Underdogs because when we played sports in P.E, a lot of the people did not give me the ball or throw it to me.
ReplyDeleteThere have obviously been many times in my life where I have felt or been the underdog.The main time that I was an underdog was when I had my first hip surgery. I was in 6th grade and I knew that I was going to wait to heal and I would be missing most my summer. This made me feel like an underdog because I didn't know if I would ever be able to run or do the same things again.
ReplyDeleteThen after 6 weeks of being on crutches I was released to walk again and I was happy but also very scared because I didn't know if it would be the same but once I got back to walking I felt great and realized it was just a thing that happened and made me a little stronger.
I was an underdog in football because our team was shorter than everyone else so we couldn't get good passes or catches. I started practicing throwing and catching with my dad and brother whenever I could. We eventually started making passes and getting around the bigger guys.
ReplyDeleteI was an underdog when I had to go to cross-country, when my mileage time was very terrible and hated running. So, I started practicing running in the summer, improving my time. Once Cross-country started, I still ran after school, and having better time every time I ran.
ReplyDeleteIn our first meet, thinking out of 100 plus students, some being their last meet, I would get last. But with my practicing, and after running the whole course, I ended up getting 14th on my first meet. knowing this, I knew that I could do good at all the meets and started practicing more. In the end, my mileage time improved by 1 minute 32 seconds.
One time I was an underdog was when I was playing basketball because I'm not that good at basketball. Like rembering all the plays and other things since I have a really bad memory. So instead of being mad at myself for mostly being on the bench I payed attention to what the other players were doing and also watched games on my phone. I may be bad at basketball but know I know what I'm doing.
ReplyDeleteI was an underdog during football since when I joined I did not know anything about football which was difficult since it was my first time ever playing football which the first few weeks were difficult since I did not know that much stuff.
ReplyDeleteBut then they gave us a paper with plays which I studied and I ended up knowing a lot more than the beginning of football which I kept practicing and I ended up getting better at least more than the beginning of the year.
I was a never a underdog, but I feel like it might feel great and exciting to be one. Since it was something that might be hard for meat first, and gets easier later on since it might be something that I can get past, if I try.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was young I did not like to pay attention in class so I got bad grades. So my parents made me go to summer school for a while so I pay attention more and so my grades could go up. So now I have good grades for paying attention.
ReplyDeleteI was once an underdog when I started volleyball. I believed that I wouldn't be very good at all and the practices won't help, but I was wrong. The practices everyday helped so much and made me such a better volleyball player than before. I was also able to play often because of practice.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was younger I was an underdog because no one believed that I could get better grades. That was when I decided to stop messing around and pay attention.
ReplyDeleteI was only in kindergarten when I did that but I knew that I needed better grades. Now I am better at paying attention and I am passing my classes because of that.
I was an underdog once when I was younger, my family never thought that I would be strong. They would have to help me carry heavy things because I couldn't lift them. They would laugh and say that they're going to need to help me forever. So, I decided to prove them wrong. Now, my family doesn't need to help me as much as they used to, but instead, help them.
ReplyDeleteI was once an underdog when I played basketball because I wasn't very good at it, and I easily forget the moves that we needed to learn.
ReplyDeleteI started practicing harder and started to improve on my skills though I still need to practice harder and improve more because I know I can.
I was an underdog I guess, my dad thought I was going to just be a average kid at cross country and I ended in the top ten in three races. I worked really hard to make my mom and dad proud for my accomplishments
ReplyDeleteI was an underdog when I was in football I thought that I would be bad but I had started to work harder in practice and I had gotten better.
ReplyDeleteThen in one game I had stopped two people running with the ball and to me now it seems like hard work can pay off.
I was little and i just moved to country right next to bellwood but when I went into the school I felt so weird about the school and then it turned out to be nothing but the work was hard and I was doing bad in school. I then stopped whoring about the school, and I worked harder to get my grades better.
ReplyDeleteIn the end I turned out to be able to work with the ability to focus more and not be distracted with the little things around me, I got better and better at homework and test and soon I was a great student
My team was once an underdog. The sport was baseball. Though we were a good team we were missing some people do to the college world series and other events going on. Our team had lost to the team earlier in the year on a game fought hard, but because of us losing the odds were against us.
ReplyDeleteIt was a hot day, but our team played together and well. We pitched well and both the infield and the outfield succeeded greatly. I even had the last out, sweeping my glove off the ground and throwing a nice throw to first base.
I was an underdog in basketball because I have never played before and didn't know what I was doing. I was struggling to do the plays for about the first week. But I finally was able to do them fluently about two weeks in.
ReplyDeleteI was an underdog as a child, my siblings thought that I would never be able to do things independently.
ReplyDeleteI would struggle to lift heavy objects during chores and would often need help from a sibling. My older brother would tell me that I needed to start doing my chores by myself. So I then decided to change and do my tasks and chores without asking for help. I would try and try to get things done with no help, it wasn't easy but as I got older and the more I tried I was able to lift the food bags for the animals and lift the buckets full of water.
A few years ago I was on a baseball team at Bradshaw Park in Columbus.We were in the final game before the championship.It was a six-inning and we were expected to lose by at least 5 Points.We were only down by two it was our turn to bat we scored one but we had two outs right after we scored the point. They caught one of ourfly balls.It was their turn to bat.We stopped them from scoring but they still won by one.We were disappointed but we still won second place.
ReplyDeletei was a underdog when i joined cross country because at first i did not wanna join but i did and i actually liked it because we did hard work and it showed me that no matter what you can still do what you want to do i worked so hard to get my goal up to be as twice as fast like i was but yes i met my goal i got faster thanks to the people who kept me going yeah i never gave up even though i was going from hard things but yes i kept going i did it for my team and my family never give up of anything.
ReplyDelete